Monday, September 21, 2020

I'm Invisible to Equifax! So, No Norton Anti-Virus or Norton LifeLock Identity Theft Protection

 

Last year we bought a new computer that came with an anti-virus program. Recently we had decided to purchase the often-advertised and highly-touted Norton Anti-Virus with LifeLock Identity Theft Protection that offers up to $1M of coverage. 

I entered the requested information online and hit a snag. It said it was unable to complete the transaction and directed me to call a certain number in order to proceed. I was baffled, but I called Norton to find out what the problem was and complete the registration, payment and download. 

The representative put me through what I would describe as an interrogation. Eventually, she put me on hold for about 15 minutes. I was determined to tough it out, so I waited until she returned. 

When she came back on the line, she informed me that they would not be able to allow me to purchase the Norton anti-virus program. 

“What?!?” 

She said that they use Equifax for verification and Equifax had no record of the existence of my Social Security number. She asked me to check my Social Security number again. 

“Are you SURE that is your Social Security number???” 

I told her I have had it since I was a young girl! I know it from memory, but I also have my Social Security card in my wallet. I even offered to snap a picture of it and send it in to verify it, but (of course) she said they “cannot accept that.” 

She put me back on hold again for several more minutes while she conferred one more time with her manager. 

When she returned to the line, she told me that even though they would NOT offer me the anti-virus program for my computer that they WOULD sell me the Norton LifeLock Identity Theft Protection with $1M coverage. 

I told her that was insane! How nutty is it that they WON’T protect my computer (worth a few hundred bucks) but they’ll provide a million dollars of identity theft coverage?!? 

When they’re telling me that they CANNOT even verify that I exist, but NOW they’re willing to offer $1M Identity Theft Protection for someone whose identity they cannot even CONFIRM?!? Ludicrous! And outrageous! 

I told a close friend of ours about this insanity the following day. He works in IT and is an all-around brainy and super-knowledgeable guy. He asked me if we have any credit cards. We don’t. We just have a Visa debit card linked to our checking account where our Social Security is direct deposited. 

He said that’s why we are “invisible” to Equifax. He advised us to at least open a secured credit card account in order to become visible to Equifax. 

But in the meantime, we have subscribed to a different anti-virus software program provider. 

Ironically, within days of that nonsense with Norton, my email inbox has been receiving a steady stream of discount offers from them for both the Norton Anti-Virus program and their LifeLock Identity Theft insurance. Pffft! No thanks.

No comments: